Heart Of Yoga
For those of you who would like to deepen your practice and explore the path of Yoga more fully we have put together this Intensive Course consisting of 8 full weekends.
Yoga enables us to know and understand ourselves on all levels of human consciousness - to discover our fullest potential in all aspects of our being, physical, psychological and spiritual.
To achieve this requires effort. Patanjali tells us that success comes when practice is maintained "for a long time, without interruption and with enthusiasm and sincerity" (Sutra I. 14)
Ashtanga Yoga is a challenging practice which requres determination and committment.
Patience, focus and dedication will inevitably bring rewards. Establishing a practice is the first step on the path. This course will help you to understand your practice and to go more deeply into the heart of your yoga. It will give you the opportunity to integrate the practice into your daily life; to know yourself fully; to think and act with clarity and awareness; to enjoy life in every way.
For a more detailed introduction to the course, its origins and aims, please click here .
Number of students
The number of students participating on the course will be restricted to 10. This is to ensure maximum attention to the needs of each student by the Tutors.
A. Yoga Chikitsa - Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series
I. Dristi II. Vinyasa III. Alignment IV. Adjustment
B. Additional Techniques:
I. Hip-openers II. Opening the Back etc.
Anatomy II. Bandhas III. Preparatory Kriyas IV. Pranayama Techniques.
I. The Four Internal Limbs
II. The Mind
III. The Nature of Thought
IV. The Senses, Prakriti and the Gunas
V. Objects of concentration
VI. Meditation Practice
A. The aims of Yoga. The Yoga Sutra Of Patanjali:
I. Sanskrit Chanting II. Translation, reflection and discussion
B. Yoga practice in daily life:
I. The Bhagavad Gita: reflection, discussion
- Yoga Anatomy
A. Introduction to Yoga Anatomy: Principles of Support and movement:
B. Subtle Anatomy - Introduction to energetic anatomy:
- Yoga Nidra
A systematic method inducing complete physical, mental and emotional relaxation. Sankalpa.
- Lifestyle & Nutrition
I. Diet II. Kriyas III. Additional practices IV. Practising Yoga and living a normal life!
- Course Work
I. Daily Practice record
III. Self- observation; Physical, Mental, emotional efffects
IV. Relaxation and Meditation experiences.
- Reading List
A. Required Texts:
I. Yoga Mala - Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
II. Ashtanga Yoga - Lino Miele
III. Light on Life - BKS Iyengar
IV. The Heart of Yoga - TKV Desikachar
V. The Bhagavad Gita - Eknath Easwaran (Arkana)
B. Recommended Texts:
I. Moola Bandha - Swami Buddananda
II. Principles of Anantomy and Physiology - Tortora & Grabowski
III. Hatha Yoga Pradipika - Swatmarama
IV. The Upanishads - Eknath Easwaran
Dates and Format of Course Weekends
The dates for the 2014 course are as follows:
Feb. 1 - 2 Sep. 6 - 7
Mar. 1 - 2 Oct. 4 - 5
Apr. 5 - 6 Nov. 1 - 2
May 3 - 4 Dec. 6 - 7
General Format (variations occur form month to month)
Saturday (6.5 Hours)
- 09.00 -10.30: Asana Techniques
- 10.30 -12.30: Asana Practice (guided)
- 13.30 - 15.00: Philosophy
- 15.00 - 16.15: Meditation and Pranayama
- 16.15 - 16.30: Closing.
Sunday (4.5 Hours):
- 08.00 - 10.00: Pranayama & Mysore
- 11.30 - 12.15: Chanting
- 12.15 - 13.25: Lifestyle, Nutrition, Yoga History, DVD
- 13.25 - 14.00: Yoga Nidra
To apply for a place on the Heart of Yoga Course please download the appliocation form and return it to: David Collins, Course Director, Heart of Yoga Intensive, Ashtanga Yoga Dublin, rear 16 Main St., Idrone Lane, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
On receipt of the Application, David will contact you by phone and if you are offered a place, a Non-refundable deposit must be paid immediately.
The Course Fee is €1595, payable as a €1000 deposit as soon as a place is offered, and the balance by January 20th 2014. Please take note that the deposit is Non-transferable and Non-refundable.
Heart of Yoga students qualify for a 10% reduction on Annual cards.
Conditions of Participation in the Course
- Students sign Application Form and accept the conditions set out here.
- Important Note: Deposit amount of €1000 is non-transferable (either to another person or another course/year) and non-refundable, except in the case of cancellation by organisers.
- Once the full fee is paid, there can be no refunds of same, whether or not a student completes the course.
- Participation on this course alone does not qualify one to teach Ashtanga Yoga.
- The Asana practice on this course is principally the Primary Series of Ashtanga Yoga, but this may vary from practitioner to practitioner..
- Accepting a place on the Course is a committment (i) to try to develop a daily practice; (ii) to stop at a particular asana in the Series, if asked to do so by the Tutors; (iii) to try to attend all of the hours of the Course.
Newsview all news
- St. Patrick's Day
Please note that the Shala is closed on Monday 17th ...
- Next Beginners Course
Starts weekend of March 29th/30th, 2014. For full details click ...